Thursday, January 19, 2012

Happy to Have Addy Series Now

The kids have been reading Addy, the American Girl, for weeks now.  I wrote a grant in 2011 in order to have a class set of the books for the children.  It is a historical fiction series of six books that takes place in the 1860's when the atrocities of slavery were allowed in our country.  The books are compelling and memorable as heck.  I have read this series to the classes ever since I can remember.  Now they each can share a set of the books and see them up close.
It was so nice to have a parent of the girl in magenta, say that she was so pleased that I was educating her child about the the atrocities of slavery in our county.  I know I walk a fine line when reading these books, but feel the children have a right to know about how terrible America used to be before we were united as one.

Every time I read this book to classes, I well up with tears, sometimes break out in tears, get goosebumps, and feel every emotion known to mankind.  This is the sign of a great writer!  The author leaves us hanging at the end of every chapter and you can hear the kids begging to hear what will happen next.

What I love about this series is that the children become vested and genuinely care about the well being of the characters.   You can just feel their sense of hope and faith that things will work out at the end of the story.  The children learn about how Addy and her family escape their plantation and run to Philadelphia to start a life in freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment